Friday, November 25, 2016

Maduraiyai Meetta Lingeswara Pandiyan

Yes, you have guessed it right. I have made up this topic heading just to connect the following two paragraphs.

I had been on a personal trip to Madurai last weekend. I wanted to capture my interesting memoirs of Madurai in one of my posts and hence this one. The first thought that flashes across my mind whenever I think of the city ‘Madurai’ is the picture of chess-board type town buses running in blue, green and orange liveries. My earliest memories of Madurai go back to a sultry 1985 evening, reaching by a bus from Ramanathapuram on a morning, visiting city temples during the day and taking the evening bus to Srivilliputtur, after discovering the fact that I had lost my chappal in a bus at Periyar. The next visit was in 1992 when my appa got transferred to Madurai and we got an opportunity to travel in the elite 135 Down Vaigai Express. The city is still the same as what I saw on that glittering evening of May 1992, it has not lost any of its sheen, energy and glory. The unique dialect consisting of the ubiquitous “vandhaaynga, ponaaynga”, “vandhaapla, ponaapla”, “nikkattum and pogattum” for stopping and starting a bus along with the extended syllable for some of the words retain the charm of visiting Madurai in us. Madurai is the city that offers letter prefixes for its areas as many area names are common – so one can easily spot K. Pudur, Y. Oththakkadai etc. Area name is usually tagged on to the nearest bigger town/ village (Kosakkulam Pudur, Yaanamalai Oththakkadai etc.). Even local area names are a bit unique – Simmakkal, Yaanakkal, Goripalayam, Arasaradi, Kochadai, Thuvarimaan, Silaimaan, Thallaakulam, Maatuthaavani, Paravai, Alanganallur, Kallandhiri, Kadachanendhal are samples from the larger listing.

[To be continued...]

No comments: