Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Vaanamuni

I watched a movie in a theatre after quite sometime (last I remember was Varuthapadadha Valibar Sangam in Escape). This time it was Mundasupatti in Inox - Virugambakkam.

It came in as a pleasant surprise when I discovered that the Inox at Virugambakkam is just 1.5 km away from my house - and more than anything else, it avoids all sorts of traffic travelling to the heart of the city for a good theatre! It involves substantial time savings too!! Umpteen services of 49A and 11H ensure that one gets dropped at the entrance of the theatre after just two stops in 10 minutes... wow, what a wonderful offer!

I booked Sunday 1830 show... The one good thing I did was that I did not read any reviews or leaked story plots. It came in handy as I was able to enjoy the movie whole-heartedly.

I am not going to write any spoilers here... just a few points that make this movie a winner:

1. A good majority of the actors were new faces (or not-so-known faces). With no image tagged to them, they were able to deliver what was expected out of them.

2. Simple twists in the plot that are placed at appropriate junctions - not a single frame in the movie that we felt the story was boring.

3. The way 80's was depicted - it was quite natural.

4. The way simple incidents and characters are weaved in the overall web - this reminds me of how J.K. Rowling used to bring in unexpected twists in the Harry Potter series with known incidents which we may have slipped from our mind. E.g. Saamiyar scene, Soda bottle scene, climax scene, identifying chithappa scene etc.

Overall, it was a wonderful movie. Worth a watch in a theatre.

On a different note, Chandra Metro Mall is a misnomer. It is just a Pantaloons showroom with Inox halls in the top floor and a few chat shops scattered here and there. Nothing more. Calling it a 'mall' is poetic exaggeration!

No comments: